Monday, March 10, 2014

Schluter Kerdi Shower Kit



Anyone have experience with the Schluter Kerdi product line? I am building a custom shower (can't find 42 x 32 shower pan), and was considering buying one of these kits. Kind of pricy though, but my only other option is to do it the conventional way (mud base with membrane), which isn't ideal.

I used it and LOVED it. it was my first time doing a tile shower and it came out great. Got the 4'x4' kit which cost about $600
my pan was about 36x34 Only advice i can give is dont use cement board on your walls. A) you dont need it and B) it makes it very difficult to attach the kerdi membrane to it becuase it pulls the moisture out of the mix. Sheetrock is a suitable subase as per manufacturer. Make sure you use an unmodified thinset to adhere the kerdi. Good Luck Beer 4U2

$600 seems awfully expensive, but I may have no choice. As stated in my previous post, my shower rough-in is 42 x 32. Therefore, I will need the 60x32 kit, which runs about $450. I will also need to cut the base, which is apparently ok to do according to the manufacturer. I only planned on doing the base with the Kerdi and the walls with hardybacker.

I haven't used it myself, but I've seen it used on TV a lot. I will probably be using it when I redo my upstairs bathroom.
The kit comes with the shower pan, curb, drain, and membrane for the walls. If you want to save some cash, you can just buy the pan/curb and drain separately. It also comes in 48 X 48. That would be perfect size for what you need. Check out their site: Shower Systems - Schluter-Systems
I will have to say that it will be worth the $600 to do the walls and everything. That system makes it watertight. You won't have to worry about any moisture that gets through the tile and grout.
Mossman, did you wet the cement board with a sponge first before you did the install?

I'll consider it. I just wasn't planning on spending anywhere near that much. Why exactly do you recommend the 48 x 48 kit? I think it would be better to use the 60 x 32 so I only have to cut one dimension (shower will be 42 x 32)

Why spend more money on the larger kit when the 4x4 is perfect for your size. Its Styrofoam, not exactaly hard to cut.
Yes i was wetting the cement board with a sponge, and i made do ok. But in the future i wont use hardi or cement board, its not needed and not worth it. Plus it costs more.
I have to agree, if you buy the kerdi system, do the entire shower in kerdi, it comes with all the material needed, dont skimp.

Moss
I only planned on doing the base with the Kerdi and the walls with hardybacker.
This won't work. You need to use kerdi on the walls as well at least to the height of the shower head. Kerdi isnt a mix and match system, its either kerdi, or its not.
Something you may not be aware of, is that you don't have to use the kerdi tray. You can do your own custom size mud slope and use kerdi over the mud. I've built several kerdi showers and have never used their trays nor have I used their curbs.

Hello all, I recently attended a Schluter workshop where the introduced Kerdi Boards. These boards are a solid foam panel that come in a variety of thicknesses and sizes and are already covered in Kerdi. They are on the expensive side but when you consider labor, it comes close to breaking even. Yes they have 1/2 thick and 4x8 ft sheets. After attaching the panels to the studs, you cover the screw holes with Kerdi band and thinset. Haven't used it yet, but looks like it will speed up shower building.
Visit the Schluter web site for more info.
Joe

Not wanting to do a mud base is my original reason for considering the Kerdi kit. My main concern is using a mud base with membrane and the weep holes in the drain eventually clogging, which makes the Kerdi kit appealing because it has a drain that is specifically designed to be used with the kerdi pan. I actually just purchased a 48 x 32 fiberglass pan earlier today for only $130, so that's the route I'm going (unless someone convinces me otherwise).

Sounds like that's what you wanted to do originally. The Kerdi membrane on the walls will provide more protection, but using just cement board and doing it right has worked well for a lot of showers. The Kerdi kit with the tray is a really great alternative when you want the shower floor to be tile. I think you will be fine with the tray.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. Only issue now is deciding whether I want to tear down the 34 wall separating the tub and the new shower and replace with a custom glass panel in order to make the bathroom appear larger. However, this would require tearing up the subfloor to reroute plumbing to the opposite wall for the new shower, or tearing out the drywall from below, which wouldn't be that bad considering the shower is directly over a closet and I need to tear some of it out anyinstall the shower drain.

i did my whole shower with kerdi. i made my own pan and curb.
make the curb out of brick. then kerdi over it. its a little harder, but provides a great piece of mind in that the bricks with not swell or shrink. if you have a granite place close enough, have a granite curb top, shelves, and seat made out of what you like.
i had 5 pieces made for $150 = GREAT upgrade for the cost.

Not wanting to do a mud base is my original reason for considering the Kerdi kit. My main concern is using a mud base with membrane and the weep holes in the drain eventually clogging, which makes the Kerdi kit appealing because it has a drain that is specifically designed to be used with the kerdi pan.
Mossman
The kerdi drain is made to be used with a mudbed as well. It's not just for their tray. Check out the third video on this link. This is the official Schluter website/video.
Schluter Video Player

I've used the Kerdi drain in a mud bed and it works great! Simple to install, and when the kerdi is layed on the bed, it seals it up nicely.
JoeP






Tags: schluter, kerdi, shower, base with, cement board, base with membrane, used with, with membrane, appealing because, appealing because drain, appealing because drain that, appealing because drain that specifically, base original