Monday, March 10, 2014

Installing Outdoor Inceiling Speakers Code Permits



I am interested in setting up 2 outdoor in-ceiling speakers on my backyard patio. It is worth noting that I am in Texas so it's hot and humid.
At first I thought setting the stuff up and moving around in the attic was going to be the hardest part. But then I started reading and it crossed my mind... do you need permits to do this sort of thing in Texas?
All I want to do is run 2 basic speaker wires to the outside and then to the living room where the AV receiver is located.
Thanks for the help.
(I should point out that I read this - Understanding In-wall Speaker, Video and Audio Cable Ratings - Reviews and News from Audioholics that indicated I want at least CL2 or CL3 wiring for a single level in-wall residential installation.)

As the article states, check with your local building inspector to see if you need to pull a permit. Texas state regs may not require it, but your town's codes may be different. I'm almost certain you won't need a permit but a quick phone call can't hurt.
However, if you're planning to use 70-volt speakers (with transformers) instead of 8-ohm, there may be permits and inspections required. You also might have to use conduit. (Which means you should use 8-ohm speakers!)
CL2 or CL3 will work fine, but it doesn't hold up long-term for outdoor use. As long as it's not exposed to the elements you'll be fine. Depending on the length of run, use 14 awg up to 50 feet and 12 awg for longer. What kind of speakers are you planning to use?

Thank you Rick. For what it's worth the runs would probably not be in excess of 50 feet.
Also, who would you call in your town about something like this? I've never had to pull a permit for speakers personally.

I work in the business, so I know the local codes. That's why I mentioned the 70-volt system.

They cost some what more, but if you went wireless, you wouldn't have to worry about anything, other then were to hang them. X-10 has them, a long with some other things that may interest you.

Thanks Edward, but I'm not really interested in wireless. I've only heard mostly poor reports from enthusiasts in audio fidelity when it comes to wireless setups.

I'm curious; where did you find outdoor in-ceiling speakers ? I've been looking for a set. Years ago, I put recessed rectangular ceiling speakers in, roughly 6x9's, on my enclosed porch. The dampness from the hot tub out there killed them. I'd like to replace them but find EITHER outdoor speakers OR recessed in-ceiling speakers, but not both.

Originally Posted by Tiger1964
I'm curious; where did you find outdoor in-ceiling speakers ? I've been looking for a set. Years ago, I put recessed rectangular ceiling speakers in, roughly 6x9's, on my enclosed porch. The dampness from the hot tub out there killed them. I'd like to replace them but find EITHER outdoor speakers OR recessed in-ceiling speakers, but not both.
I didn't get anything yet, but I was led to believe it doesn't exist... and to instead choose marine speakers. If speakers can handle being on a boat, I think a humid environment should be no problem.

Marine speakers are a good idea. Alpine 7 two-way's can be had for around $100.
There are weatherproof speakers available for home use. Here's one example: Weather Proof Outdoor Bathroom Ceiling Speakers

Originally Posted by BigTime
I didn't get anything yet, but I was led to believe it doesn't exist... and to instead choose marine speakers. If speakers can handle being on a boat, I think a humid environment should be no problem.
Sounds like a great idea, but I understood that car speakers (and I presume boat speakers similar?) had a different # of ohms resistance (IIRC 4 vs 8?) and did not think they would work.

You are correct about the impedance. Most marine and auto speakers are 4 ohms.
BigTime needs to check the receiver's manual, but most can handle 4-ohm loads with no problems.

Thanks, Rick. Anyway, I bookmarked your link in post #9 and will see if something there is applicable. I think I have a size problem, 6x9 vs 8 round, but nothing is insurmountable. Polished stainless steel adapter plate?






Tags: outdoor, speakers, code, permits, in-ceiling speakers, outdoor in-ceiling, outdoor in-ceiling speakers, anything believe, anything believe doesn, anything believe doesn exist, anything believe doesn exist instead, been looking